Sunday, November 27, 2005

Keeping up with the Junior Joneses

I was enjoying a post-workout coffee with the women from my Stroller Fit aerobics class the other day, when one of the mothers asked me if Milo had started sucking his toes yet.

I shook my head, alarmed. "No. Not at all."

I searched the other woman's eyes for the slightest hint of surprise at my negative response. Her son is just a couple of weeks older than mine. And he sucks his toes.

How long had he been sucking his toes? I wondered but did not ask. Was toe-sucking one of those developmental milestones that all babies were supposed to reach by the time they hit a certain age? Was Milo close to that age -- or had he already passed it?

I always vowed I wouldn't do this.

Of course all babies develop differently and acquire skills at their own individual pace. Duh. That's so obvious. All babies are unique, and are interested in exploring different abilities according to their own experiences and natural inclinations. The fact that a baby learns to crawl at eight months instead of six months, say, or figures out how to talk at ten months but doesn't walk until the fifteen-month mark doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on his or her later physical or intellectual development. That's what all the books say, and therefore, it must be true.

Take a look at Einstein, for example. He didn't talk until he was three years old. But when he finally did start talking, he spoke in full sentences.

When I was pregnant, I promised my unborn child that I would never impose upon him or her the kind of horribly unrealistic expectations I tend to set for myself. I know what it's like to feel like a failure for not getting 100% on an exam. That's not something Milo ever needs to know.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

And yet, whenever I hear other mothers mention a skill their babies have acquired that Milo has yet to master, my chest tightens a wee bit. I can't help but worry why Milo hasn't learned that particular skill yet. What does it mean? How will it affect his future? And how am I to blame?

Is it because of my genes, or something I ingested back in my carefree days of youthful indiscretion? Or is it because of something I'm doing now?

Have I not been talking to Milo enough or playing with him enough? Am I not providing him with a suitably stimulating environment? Or am I simply expecting too much of him?

Yep. I suppose that'd be the one.

Sometimes I forget to relax and enjoy my baby for who he is now and get way too caught up in worrying about who he's going to become. Thankfully, those moments never last too long. Whenever I get lost in my fretful musings, Milo always pulls me back to the present with a squawk or a shriek or a coo. I look at him and he stares back at me, wide-eyed, sticking out his tongue or sucking furiously on his lower lip, and I just have to laugh.

After all, this isn't about me, here, it's about Milo. And Milo is simply perfect at being Milo. That's more than good enough for me.

11 comments:

Laura said...

It is hard not to compare, to be proud when your lil one does something early, and to be dissaporinted when someone beats him/her to something. It is just important to keep it all in perspective, and enjoy each likttle step when they do come.

BTW, my Pumpkin is still not sucking her toes, and she is 6 months, so Milo is not lagging, maybe his little friend just has a foot fettish! And I am sure Milo beats him im the cuteness factor :-)

Anonymous said...

Erin, couldn't have said it better myself. I think that one is going on the fridge.

So, Clara rolled over and sat up the other day....

Anonymous said...

Psych.

Just teasin'.

Erin Whalen said...

Hah! Nice try, Stroller Girl. Way to make my hair fall out in even larger clumps than usual.

And to Ms. Mama, thanks for making me feel better. Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way sometimes. Though I must say, the other little boy in question IS pretty cute. He's got dark brown hair and huge blue eyes and looks like a miniature five-year-old.

Bridget said...

I'm forever killing myself over things like this, especially because we hang out with our childbirth education class pals, and Duncan was the second to last baby born. They're all crawling and pulling themselves up, and Duncan doesn't yet see the point of even rolling over despite my intensive early childhood education programming! I'm a trained professional and I can't even teach the kid one lousy trick! I think we're definately victims of too much information: my mother always tells me she never had a book to tell her when I should do things, so it never crossed her mind to worry about them!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog because I think this is just the beginning of years of keeping ourselves as mothers in check on the comparison front. The same thing is happening here...and all over I am sure. Thanks for the blog Erin, I love it.

Erin

Nancie Neal said...

I have 3 kids and one on the way. It's funny that by the time I got to the third one, milestones don't seem to matter anymore. I mean it's great that she is developing, but each kid IS different and the emphasis on milestones diminishes when one see it first hand.

All of my kids walked before they were 1, but each had different ways of learning how to talk. My 2-year-old is finally making some discernable syllables. My son couldn't put sentences together until after 2, but he could say single words quite clearly. My now 3-year-old could speak full sentences at 18 months but needed an interpreter (namely, me). I was worried that no one would believe that she was actually saying anything of relevance.

My mother said that I never crawled. I just went from pulling myself up to walking... So some kids actually skip "milestones".

That said, it was very difficult not to brag on how far ahead my son was... ;)

Anonymous said...

My nephew was sucking on his toes today, actually. He just recently discovered that he can get his feet up to his mouth and he's about 2 weeks older than your son. (Although I found your due date in a past entry and my nephew was due the same day...)

I didn't know that was considered a milestone, though.

Dak-Ind said...

as i read this i looked down at young indy and he had a foot jammed into his mouth, its just something they do eventually. all kids do it at different times. the little boy upstairs from us is 13 days younger than indy, but already has a tooth! we dont have any teeth yet. and we ARE the jonses... i keep telling the folks upstairs that they are supposed to keep up with us, not pass us!!

Anonymous said...

awww. it does the heart good to read your words and see milo's adorable face. i miss you guys! can we get together soon? xo

Anonymous said...

Not sure how I happened upon your blog, but can't seem to get my fill. First off "Milo" is beautiful! What I wouldn't give to have my children (now aged 15 & 20) at this age again. Enjoy the hell out of it (motherhood).