Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The #1 reason why the human race probably should have gone extinct a long time ago

Those nights when your baby thinks it would be REALLY REALLY fun to wake up at 1:45 in the morning and then stay awake for no good reason at all for the next two hours.

That's what Milo decided to do in the wee dark hours of the morning when today had barely begun. He woke up and loudly started demanding my presence, so I stumbled into his room and gave him his soother. He spat it out. I gave him the boob. Wasn't interested. Nope. He wanted to play the "Peek a boo, look at me, check out how totally wide awake I am!" game. For. Two. Whole. Hours.

It's a darned good thing that babies have those ridiculously addictive laughs going for them; because if they didn't, and they continued to pull stunts like that, no one would ever, EVER have a second child. The world's population would be halved with each successive generation until there was only one person left and that person wouldn't have anyone to come running into his or her bedroom at 1:45 a.m. to provide free food and entertainment. And all those angry squawks and cries would be like so many trees falling in the forest without anyone to hear them, though not nearly so Zen.

Pointless middle-of-the-night wake-up calls: the stuff extinctions are made of.

Milo had BETTER let his mother get a good sleep tonight if he's ever hoping to get a little brother or sister...

7 comments:

Jen said...

Great blog! I too am a first time Mom, I have an 11 month old daughter. That's probably why I enjoy your entries so much- I can completely relate!!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the two of you -- so sweet.

My older daughter was a GREAT sleeper, and my baby -- not so much. Good thing the baby wasn't born first or there might not have been a number two kid! (I need my sleep too much!)

WILLIAM said...

Very cool picture of the two of you. I came through Blog Explosion.

I also am a big fan of the Princess bride. Dread Pirate Roberts is a cool blog as well.

Laura said...

Could Milo be teething? My Pumpkin woke up the middle of the night a few times crying when she was teething. But she didn't want anything to do with playing. Good luck, I hope he does not keep this up long. But try and remember how much more sleep you get now than those first few weeks. Makes these little interuptions not seem so bad...

Anonymous said...

Alex (4 months) did this about a week ago -- decided to be awake from about 2 to 4. After a brief initial fuss he seemed content to talk to himself, so once the cuteness factor wore off, I turned down the baby monitor and went back to bed, drifing off to sleep to the faint sounds of baby babble.

After this night he began a trend of waking up more often, sometimes crying, other times for no clear reason. This was driving me nuts until I figured it out - he was cold ... and teething.

Fortunately, we have the technology to solve cold -- he now has his own little heater. I haven't yet found a simple solution to teething (short of medicating him I guess, which I won't do over one extra night wakening).

Dak-Ind said...

indiana has started doing this too. no offense but i am sure glad i am not the only one whos child think that 2 am to 4 am are perfectly acceptable play times. notice i am commenting at 2am, indy is playing with a stuffed turtle in his crib. awake. yelling at said turtle. aaarrrggghhh.

Unknown said...

Ok, I realize this is completely not the point...but I really like your sheets.