Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Lookee here!

I done got me a new look!

Okay, so it's not the most professional blog out there. I must admit to knowing sweet diddly about HTML or web design. But I promised you a DIAPER PAIL, dammit, not a rose garden. Or a well-designed blog, for that matter.

I must give kudos to my wonderful Pirate for having helped me so much with this redesign. He found the three-column template online and helped me make the switch; he also figured out how the hell to add graphics to the title bar. You'd think it'd be easy... but you'd be wrong.

We'll be continuing to work on the look of this blog over the next weeks and months. If any of you gentle readers have any thoughts on design or suggestions you'd like to share, please do! I'm learning as I go and would greatly benefit from your no-doubt superior wisdom.

For example, I'd really like to know how to make this body font smaller. I figured out how to change the size of the header font, the sidebar font, even the "leave a comment" font. But do you think I could figure out how to change the size of THIS font? This font RIGHT HERE? Noooooooo. Suggestions, anyone?

In the meantime, I'm off to bed. I've been messing around with this blog for hours now and my eyes are crossing.

Sweet dreams, all.

p.s. Milo is still ridiculously adorable, exhausting, mind-blowing, brilliant, infuriating, and cute.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Glad to see you are still alive and I like the new look. Sorry, can't help on the design front, I am helpless when it comes to HTML, husband dearest did mine up :-)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I can try to help with the design stuff if you'd like -- just send me an e-mail.
:-)

WILLIAM said...

Looks great.

Unknown said...

I looooove it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice redesign, Erin! Looks great!

Hillary said...

yay! blogger on BE from Vancouver! :D I found you on the blog rocket.

If you want to change the font size of your posts, try goimg into your template (via blogger settings). Near the top of the HTML there are things called "style sheets" that have heading like "header," "comments," "sidebar," "posts," etc. There will be a heading and then some code underneath. Go to the "posts" style sheet and look for where it says font. Mine looks like this:

post-title {
margin:.25em 0 0;
padding:0 0 4px;
font-size:140%;
font-weight:normal;
line-height:1.4em;
color:#c60;

Change the percentage in font size. Fiddle around with it till you get it the size you want it (you'll have to republish each time to see it, the preview gives you bigger text than what shows in reality).

Good luck!

I'm going ot keep on reading... you've got a fun blog! :)

LaurieD said...

Way to go Erin!
Looks great: nice and clean with lots of room for content.
Laurie

Erin Whalen said...

Thanks for the positive feedback and the helpful hints, everyone! Much appreciated. As you can see, I figured out how to fix the post font size problem -- mostly by fiddling with the HTML and hoping for the best. But hey, whatever works, right?