Sunday, September 04, 2005

The great baby boom of summer ought-five


Milo and Korae: First they play hard to get...

...then they succumb to their overwhelming mutual attraction and play super happy-smiley face with each other.

We’ve been dealing with a whole lot of firsts in the past couple weeks. First goos, first smiles, first trip to the doctor, first night alone with Dad, first self-inflicted rattle smack to the head, etc. – the fun never stops, I tell you. Just last weekend, Milo had his first trip to the beach – AND his first “date” with an older woman. Our friends David and Donna were there with their second child, Korae, who was born on June 14th, 11 days before Milo decided to grace us with his presence.

The two babies were ridiculously cute with each other. We sat them down on our laps so that their faces were only a foot or so away from each other. As soon as they caught sight of each other, they were captivated. They sat there staring at each other, smiling, flailing their arms, and trying to play footsy with each other for at least 15 minutes. In baby terms, that’s the equivalent of a 9-½ week love affair. All they were missing were the strawberries and whipped cream.

Meanwhile, it’s all I can do to get my son to look at me most of the time. Our white bedroom door and the light coming through our orange curtains are infinitely more interesting than the face of the woman who brought him into the world.

Sigh. I always knew that Milo would end up casting me aside for another woman… I just hadn’t expected it to happen so soon.

However, Milo’s going to find he has a lot of competition for Korae’s affections. He’s certainly not the only baby boy that’s come into the world over the past few months. This summer has seen an unprecedented number of new souls join our extended circle of friends and family. I can count ten new arrivals in my little world alone:

  • Korae was born to David and Donna on June 14th

  • Wayland James was born to our friend Scott and his girlfriend Heather on June 21st

  • Milo the Man was born on June 25th

  • Oscar was born to Teresa and Steven on July 1st

  • My friend Tracy’s cousin Erin had a baby boy a couple of weeks after Milo was born

  • Milo’s cousin Nadia was born to my brother David and his wife Roxanne on July 8th

    (hmm… can anyone say, “kissing cousin”?)

  • Isis was born to Osha (Donna’s sister) and Paul in the beginning of August (another set of cousins!)

  • Emily and Tyler (TWINS!) were born to my coworker Cheryl on August 20th

  • Finally, my friends Stew and Kelly were brave (or insane) enough to have their FOURTH CHILD, a baby boy, sometime in August.

And those are just the babies that have come into MY world. One shudders to think what the first day of kindergarten is going to be like, when all those five-year-olds show up and the teachers realize they’re going to have to ship in a dozen portable classrooms to hold them all…

Oh, cripes, that reminds me – I’d better go right this minute and start getting Milo on to about a bajillion daycare waiting lists. What have I been thinking? The boy’s already two months old! If I don’t get him into the right preschool, he’ll be ruined for life!

(Speaking of preschools, did you know that the rate of expulsion in U.S. preschools is TRIPLE the K-12 expulsion rate? Egads! Why do you suppose they're getting kicked out? For biting? Fighting? Dealing drugs? Worshipping false gods? Refusing to stand up for the pledge of allegiance? Something tells me I'd rather not know -- I already spend far too much time analyzing Milo's current behaviour for signs of nasty habits to come. Lord knows I don't need any others to look for...)

No comments: