Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Things that make you go, "ewww"

So in case you're one of the few people who haven't heard me go on and on and on about my new obsession, we're using cloth diapers with Milo.

Whenever he graces us with a poopy diaper, we usually throw it into an ice cream bucket before rinsing it out in the bathroom sink and then tossing it in the diaper pail along with the rest of the soiled dipes. We usually try to deal with the poopy ones right away, but sometimes we forget, and they sit in the ice cream bucket for a while before we remember to rinse them out and put them in the pail.

Fortunately for us, our exclusively breast-fed son's poo doesn't smell (much... yet...), so a poopy diaper out in the open doesn't make our house smell like a charnel house or anything. Too bad, almost -- if we had some sort of olfactory reminder of the poopy diapers just sitting there, we'd probably be more vigilant about rinsing them out right away and putting them in the diaper pail, where they belong.

And that would be a good thing.

Yesterday, after we'd returned from taking our dog Nell for her afternoon walk, Rob and I were in Milo's room, taking off his little bomber jacket while both marveling at how cute he looked in it (as only lovestruck new parents can do), when suddenly we heard this noise behind us: slurp slurp slurp.

This isn't the kind of noise you want to hear when there's a poopy diaper in an open bucket on the floor and a dog in the room.

Sure enough, I turned to look, and lo and behold, what did I see but Nell with her head in the ice cream bucket, chowing down on a big ol' helping of diaper pudding.

Okay, so I'm the first to brag about how my baby's sh*t doesn't stink... but I draw the line at suggesting it might be tasty.


5 comments:

Laura said...

Ick! Dogs just have no taste buds. Good for you using the cloth diapers. Pumpkin is also a cloth bottomed gal.

LaurieD said...

OMG! Next time I see you I'll have to remember my friend Tracey's story about her dog eating a recently toilet-trained child's hidden-behind-the-couch poo, barfing it up, and then having another go at it! Then again, you may have all that in front of you...

Erin Whalen said...

Jeez, I hope not. I was actually shocked that Nell would do such a thing. She's normally not the kind of dog that likes eating or rolling in smelly things. I'd rather NOT have to deal with a repeat performance!

Erin M said...

my two year old had a floor accident and in the 45 seconds it took me to dump her in the tub and return to the scene of the crime my little dog had lapped up every last morsel of poop - gag.. dogs are sooooo gross and yet we love them

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... we had a bunch of manure delivered to our house when I was kid (we were redoing out lawn) when it arrived my dog ran up to the top of the pile and chowed down like there was no tomorrow. I think it's a fairly normal think for a dog to do!