Thursday, August 25, 2005

I fell head over heels in love today

Me and Milo, on our two-month anniversary


Milo smiled at me. I mean, REALLY smiled at me - three whole times. And it definitely wasn't gas. He was flirting with me all the way - acting all wide-eyed and cutesy as he stared into my face, wiggling and gurgling and doing his damnedest to turn me into putty.

Well, it worked.

It happened when he was on his change table, his new favourite place in the whole wide world. Last week, he hated the change table. Hated it. Would scream so hard when I place him on it, I thought his eyes would pop out of his tomato-red face like baseballs being shot from a pitching machine.

This week, however, his frowns melt into wide-eyed wonder as soon as his back hits the change pad. Now, all of a sudden, he loves everything about getting changed, and will even cry when I lift him off the table.

Well, they say the only true constant is change, and I suppose that applies a thousandfold to babies. I'd better get used to the feeling that I'm standing on a floating log and learn to roll with it. Stability? Permanence? Predictability? Pah! Who needs 'em!

Actually, not so long ago, I did. But I'm willing to give those things up if it means I'll be a better parent to Milo and score me some more of those heart-melting smiles. Oh, those smiles. They made me feel all gooey inside. Just goes to show you what a smart kid I've got. First, he screamed and cried and deprived me of sleep, thus ensuring that I'd be reduced me to a quivering sac of nerve tissue and tears. Then, just when I'd lost all powers of resistance, he threw me a few smiles, no doubt knowing full well that I would henceforth go to any lengths to merit another one.

It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "putting out," I tell you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, YAY, Erin!! I love baby smiles. You have to bring Milo next Friday -- we'd love to see him. And I hope to see you tonight, too. I'm in for the long haul. Congrats on your gorgeous, gorgeous baby boy...he owns you now;).

LaurieD said...

Way to go Erin!
yay Milo!

Jan and Cindy said...

Awesome stuff...following your Milo adventure is certainly offering alot of food for thought (no pun intended!). Each baby really is different!